St John Vianney's History

St John Vianney’s was founded from St Columba’s, Upper Gray Street, and established as a parish in 1951. The church was built in 1952. We celebrated our Golden Jubilee during November 2002.

The parish comprises the areas of Hyvots, Gilmerton, Craigour, Moredun, Fernieside and Ferniehill, and the village of Danderhall. The New Edinburgh South East Wedge project is likely to have an impact on our parish in the future.

In September 2003 the Parish entered into a “clustering arrangement” with St Gregory’s, the Inch, and St Catherine’s, Gracemount. The Parishes seek to do what they can together and to share the two Priests, Fr Anthony Caruana and Fr Mike Fallon (the Parish Priest of St Catherine’s).

The average Mass attendance is just over 200.

© St Catherine’s, St John Vianney’s and St Gregory’s are parishes of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh, charity registered in Scotland - SC008540